Live, work and play on Vancouver Island, British Columbia!
Vista Radio is looking for someone with news and announcer talents, for our radio station in the Comox Valley. The Comox Valley has countless hiking trails and natural wonders, and is minutes from world-class skiing on Mount Washington.
The Comox Valley is composed of three major centres: the City of Courtenay, the town of Comox, and the Village of Cumberland. It has a population of over 73,000 people.
About the Job:
This is a full-time, hybrid position, Saturday - Wednesday, with weekend announcer and news duties, plus full-time reporting/anchoring during the week. You will also provide news content for the other Vista Radio stations on Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast. You will be reporting stories and recording afternoon newscasts for the Powell River market. The position requires covering all types of local stories, (i.e. crime, politics, environment, social issues, etc.), writing quickly and accurately to post online and to the Newsroom software.
You will be working as part of a regional team of hard-working, dedicated reporters. You will have local and remote supervision and support. On the weekend, you will balance your time between the announcer role and news gathering/anchoring.
This position requires an ambitious self-starter with an attitude of responsibility and service, who is genuinely interested in the community.
- Researching and writing news stories for online and broadcast
- Acting as the primary reporter for the Comox Valley, working from the Courtenay radio station as a member of the local team
- Producing news audio and video as required
- Performing on-air announcer duties on the weekend
- Serve as a backup anchor for recorded newscasts as required
- Managing multiple social media platforms, updating as required
- Building and strengthening relationships in the market.
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience working in a broadcast newsroom or equivalent journalism background
- Experience as an on-air radio announcer
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong on-air delivery
- Superior organizational skills
- The ability to work within a fast-paced environment both individually and with a team
- A valid driver's license
- Working familiarity with Adobe Audition, KLZ Newsroom, and on-air software is a big-time plus
Apply online at VistaRadio.ca or email your resume to Patti Mertz at email@example.com
Please include a link to a Soundcloud/YouTube or mp3 audio demo with your resume.
As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.